Supplements are great to take alongside a normal, balanced diet. But most supplements are only available from the chemist or supermarket. There is a really powerful supplement that you can make, and take, yourself. Eggshell calcium supplement is a really cheap and easy way of getting a much needed nutrient in to our bodies.
Calcium is valuable to the body – for many reasons including bones, teeth, muscle contraction, nerve health and cell formation. We need a constant top up of the good stuff, and most people can get this through their diet. Others prefer the assurance that a standard supplement gives them.
And according to one woman, the blogger Mama Natural, it is vital for pregnant and nursing mothers.
In her blog post here, she shows how eggshells contain 27 essential microelements but are mostly composed of calcium carbonate, a form and structure that’s very similar to our bones and teeth.
In animal and human tests, eggshell calcium shows increased bone density, less arthritic pain, and even stimulates cartilage growth.
This is Mama Natural’s recipe that she relies on to get the extra dosage of calcium that her body needs.
Ingredients and equipment:
- 1 carton of organic pastured chicken eggs
If you can get fresh from the farm, even better and try to get eggs from chickens that don’t eat soy. Pay the extra price since this will serve as a supplement and is much cheaper than buying calcium tablets. Confused how to find or know if eggs are good quality? Here’s a tip… the thicker the shell, the more nutrients.
You will also need:
- 1 stock pot
- 1 coffee grinder
- 1 small Mason jar with secure and clean lid
- Use up your eggs as you normally would, keeping the shell in the carton to make your supplement
- When you have your dozen shells, rinse them well in water. Remove any whites that might be stuck but don’t remove membrane as these have extra nutrients.
- Fill a stock pot with approximately 6 cups of filtered water and bring to a boil.
- Carefully put your eggshells into water. (This will kill any harmful pathogens)
- Let cook for 10 minutes.
- Drain shells.
- Spread the shells on glass or stainless steel baking sheet and let dry overnight. In the morning, put in a 200 degree (Fahrenheit) oven for about 10 minutes to completely dry out.
- Once completed, put a few shells into a coffee grinder and run until they are pulverized into a granular form. Continue until all of your shells are powder.
- Store in a tightly sealed Mason jar in the cupboard away from heat or moisture.
How to Consume Eggshell Calcium
1 tsp. contains approximately 800-1,000 mg. of calcium. Consume by mixing in a small amount of water with a meal. Consume 3/4 to 1 tsp daily, divided in 3 servings with meals. Don’t consume more than 1 tsp a day as it can irritate sensitive digestive tracks.