Winter is famously hardgoing on the hair. Bad weather, warm houses and styling can affect the health of the hair. Here’s some tips to look after your barnet in the cold months ahead.
One very simple tip is to wear a hat when out as it keeps your hair covered from the wind, rain and snow. But as we all know, no woman wants the “dreaded hat hair.” A great way to avoid this is to wrap your hair in a silk scarf before putting on your cozy, wool beanie. This helps to protect your hair from damage caused by the hat rubbing against your hair and it also cuts down on the static.
Another great way to combat static is to use a good heat styling product for blowdrying. This can also be used on dry hair before using a curling iron or flat iron.
- During the winter months, it’s a great idea to treat your hair once a week to a deep conditioning treatment. This will help to replenish the moisture, which tends to get depleted from things such as the dry heat in your apartment and the cold winter air.
- I also find if you can keep washing your hair to a minimum, say two to three times a week, this will prevent your hair from drying out too much. And always make sure you dry your hair before leaving the house. Not only because you will get a cold, but the moisture in your hair combined with the cold air, will add further damage to your hair by making it more brittle and dry.
- Regular trims are a great way to keep your hair in good health during the winter months as well — every six to eight weeks, just get a light dusting of the ends to help reduce the chance of dry, splitting ends.
- One unexpected secret to keep your hair looking good in the winter is to invest in a humidifier. I know you’re thinking that humidity equals frizzy hair, but when you have the heat on, the air in your apartment becomes very dry and I find the humidifier helps stop your hair and skin from feeling dry. The main problem with the humidifier is that they’re not very nice-looking.
We really recommend using Davines Essential Haircare MELU / Hair Shield which is Hair Protection for all hair types.
Davines MELU hair shield is ideal for protecting all types of hair from stress caused by straightener or blow dryer. This spray effectively protects the hair from heat stresses.
The scent that characterizes the MELU family has a floral and woody note.
Evenly apply strand by strand to dry or damp hair before using straightener or blow dryer. Do not rinse off.
Natural active ingredients:
- Lentil Seeds from Villalba – it is ideal to nourish and repair.
- Panthenol – gives moisture and shine to the hair.
- Quatenium-8 – softening, conditioning antistatic proprieties. Speed up blow drying time.
Specific anionic resin – Thermal protection.