If you’re suffering from dehydrated skin, you will know that it’s not just plain old dry skin. Dehydrated skin can be temporary or lifelong, and may well lead on to more serious skin conditions, like sensitivity and other skin complaints.
Dehydrated skin can be symptomatic of a couple of things, and it may be worth trying to find out what.
The top three causes of dry, dehydrated skin according to Dermalinstitute:
- Intrinsic Aging: Intrinsic aging is the normal process of physical change over time that’s more about genetics than lifestyle. (Lifestyle-induced aging is known as premature or extrinsic aging.) Sebaceous gland activity tends to decrease with age, and the skin’s natural hydrators decline over the years. The skin’s ability to regenerate lipids comprising the protective lipid barrier layer of the Stratum Corneum also declines with age, as does blood flow to the skin, which may cause a drop in sebum production.
- Weather / Environmental Elements: Prolonged exposure to the sun causes water to evaporate from skin, which is why sunburned skin requires more moisture than unexposed areas. Cold winds, air conditioning units, forced air heating and low temperatures can also dry out skin and contribute to premature aging.
- Lifestyle: The trend of fat-free diets can deprive our bodies of skin-friendly Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs). This deficiency can result in chronic itching, dryness, scaling, thinning and can lead to an imbalance in prostaglandins (chemical messengers that do many things, such as control inflammation).
Excess intake of alcoholic beverages and certain medications (such as nasal decongestants) can also contribute to dry skin or dehydrated skin.
One of the biggest consequences of dry, dehydrated skin is an increase in sensitivity, as dryness and dehydration are precursors to sensitized skin. Addressing it quickly can help stave off issues of sensitization.
However, don’t immediately gravitate towards prescribing super-emollient cleansers and creams, as emollient products could aggravate dehydrated skin that’s also classified as oily. A thorough skin analysis is your ultimate tool in the successful treatment of this challenging skin condition.
Many of our customers have found that La Biosthetique Menulphia Hydratante — Intensive Care Cream for Very Dehydrated Skin is extremely beneficial.
This is a regenerating cream for dehydrated, demanding skin. Moisturises and vitalises the skin and makes it feel smooth. Reduces the wrinkles’ depth for a firmer, fresher and more supple skin.
Apply Menulphia Hydratante as part of the evening and/or morning care to the cleansed, toned face and neck.
- Lipo-amino-acids activate the natural regeneration of demanding skin. Improvement of skin elasticity and creation of a natural, long-lasting moisture reservoir.
- Special active substances support the skin metabolism and optimize the protein synthesis in the cells.
- Hyaluronic acid provides deep acting hydration.
- DPHP (lipo-amino acid) stimulates the skin’s cell regeneration.