For those who suffer from acne, control techniques are the holy grail of skin maintenance. But acne can be a real kicker to self-esteem and blight someone’s confidence. We’re sticking up for those whose skin can often be out of control — we’ve got a load of products in store for skin plagued with acne, but also interested in looking at what can be done to keep acne under control.
The WellnessMama blog has some great tips, including:
Taking a good quality probiotic. I’ve taken several over the years, but the one that seemed most helpful for acne was Prescript Assist. I’ve also been taking Black mineral powder lately and while my acne is already gone, it has seemed to improve my skin.
Fat Soluble Vitamins: Once I added Fermented Cod Liver Oil to my daily regimen (years ago), my skin started to improve and it has continually gotten better over time. I also noticed I got fewer stretch marks when I was taking FCLO during pregnancy and using natural products on my stomach.
Gelatin/Collagen: I’m a big fan of gelatin and collagen powder for many reasons, but I credit these with speeding the healing of my skin from years of acne. I also often hear “You look way too young to have five kids” and I credit gelatin/collagen with these comments as well. Two great natural brands are Great Lakes and Vital Proteins.
L-Glutamine & HCL: I also started taking L-Glutamine for leaky gut and gut health, and it seemed to have a big impact on my skin as well. I still take l-Glutamine daily on an empty stomach to help with gut and skin health. I also still take Betaine HCL to improve my digestion and skin health.
Wellness Mama also recommends these topical treatments:
- Using the oil cleansing method each night before bed or in the shower each day
- Raw honey as a supplemental face wash or gentle mask a few times a week
- A deep cleansing healing clay mud mask once or twice per week
- A probiotic skin cream (see below – skin biome) – recipe coming soon
- During the adjustment period, diluted apple cider vinegar (2/3 water ad 1/3 raw ACV) helped as a toner used after face washing
- Sea Spray calming salt mist for skin also helped balance the oils on my skin