Highly sensitive skin can be incredible difficult to care for. Often, there will be something new that can set off complaint skin – being in a different country, using a new detergent – even buying new bed linen.
Here are some tips, via GreenBeautyTeam, that will help those with sensitive skin find some normality for longer periods of time.
- People with sensitive skin MUST STAY AWAY from microdermabrasion, intense facial massage/manipulation, perfumed skin care products, essential oils, sun bathing and swimming pools. Keep your skin care routine SIMPLE: wash with a mild cleanser (no acids or exfoliating beads). Treat redness with a skin-type specific product.
- Protect your skin with a light moisturiser. REN Evercalm Global Protection Day Cream is formulated to leave sensitive skin optimally hydrated, calmed, soothed and protected. This moisturiser combats chronic discomfort, redness and sensitivity to ensure skin glows with renewed health and stays looking younger for longer. Over time it will train your skin to be less sensitive. It contains Omega 3 and 7 oils that work to reduce inflammation and boost the skin’s lipid content, restoring moisture and providing a natural barrier against pollution and irritants. Omegas also encourage cell division, helping to repair damage to delicate skin, and the calendula and chamomile oils sooth and reduce redness. Beta Glucan extract calms the neuro-mediators that regulate the skin’s reactiveness to stress, effectively training the skin to be less sensitive and so be less likely to flare up. Lastly there’s REN’s Global Protection Complex, a potent blend of bio extracts that fights free radicals and oxidants to protect the skin from UV damage and inflammation.
- Sunscreen is essential! The sun is sensitive skin’s worst enemy. The best form of protection is to physically block the sun from hitting skin. Use a sunscreen with physical sun blockers such as zinc oxide and titanium oxide, instead of irritating chemicals. Wear long sleeves, sunglasses and hats. Do your best to avoid the sun during its peak hours from 11 AM- 2PM.
- Use products that are in pumps or tubes vs. jars. Products packaged in pumps and tubes provide better protection from bacteria.
- Purchase a few extra 100% cotton pillowcases and change every other day. Also, try to sleep on your back, without putting any pressure on your face. Don’t forget to wash your pillowcases with fragrance free detergent.